As the situation with Covid-19 continues to develop, the policy in relation to the payment of sick pay from the ECIA Sickness & Accident Benefit Schemes have been reviewed. The FAQs below provide you with the details of when you can submit a COVID related claim to one of the schemes. These rules come into force from 1 January 2021. The employee benefit schemes administered by Welplan Ltd. are operated as discretionary trusts and as such decisions on the payment of benefits are made independently to the criteria relating to the payment of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).
If you need assistance please contact the team via email@example.com or on 0800 195 8080.
Information up-to-date as of: 06/10/2021
YES - SICK PAY WILL BE PAID
Standard waiting days will apply
All claims must be supported by a valid Positive Test notification. This can be a copy of an email or text message. This is required from the first day for which the claim is being made.
This will be valid for the recommended period of self-isolation (10 days as at January 1, 2021).
The normal claim form must be used.
If a member of staff continues to be ill beyond the recommended isolation period of 10 days, then please notify us as normal and provide a NHS111 Self Isolation Note or FIT Note if available. Note that NHS111 Self Isolation Notes are only for 10 days and you will need to renew if the member of staff remains unwell.
NO. Sick pay claims will only be paid when supported by a valid Positive Test notification. This can be a copy of an email or text message. This is required from the first day for which the claim is being made.
4. If someone is self-isolating because Test and Trace has told them to, or a member of their household/bubble has symptoms, can I claim sick pay?
NO. Following changes to Government advice on self-isolating, which came into force on 16 August 2021, sick pay claims for self-isolation are no longer paid.
5. Can I claim sick pay for a member of staff who has been notified by the NHS, or their GP, that they are deemed Critically Extremely Vulnerable?
NO. Shielding advice was paused by the Government on 1 April 2021. In this situation, you should manage in line with the employment contract.
6. Can I claim sick pay for someone who chooses to self-isolate even though they don’t have to?
NO. In this situation, you should manage in line with the employment contract.
7. Can I claim sick pay for someone who has to stay home to care for children due to school closure?
NO. In this situation you should manage in line with the employment contract.
8. What happens if I furlough staff?
The Government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme ended on 30 September 2021. Furloughing is no longer an available option to employers.
9. If someone is self-isolating because they have been instructed to by a hospital in anticipation of being admitted for an operation/procedure, can I claim sick pay?
NO. In this situation, you should manage in line with the employment contract. Sick claims are paid when a member is unable to work due to sickness, and the claim is supported by a doctor’s fit note.